Products that are User Friendly and Planet Friendly
SICO’s® mission has always included the pursuit of environmentally friendly, sustainable solutions. Because our product components are of significantly higher quality, the useful life cycles of our products are significantly longer than those of our competitors. That can mean less material usage, salvage, waste, landfill consumption, disposal costs, freight costs, downtime and repair costs.
As a company, SICO® is working hard to bridge the gap between supplying sustainable, earth-friendly product solutions and constructing products that are built to stand the test of time. We are committed to providing customers around the globe with quality products that have a proven track record as a sound investment. In addition, we are always researching new sustainable materials for use in our products.
As part of our commitment to support this effort, we have a growing number of products that have now been certified with the GREENGUARD® mark of distinction. All of these products have gone through a stringent independent testing program that has affirmed that they meet the high standards set by the GREENGUARD® Environmental Institute for product emissions into the indoor air stream. Look for this logo on SICO® tables and other products.
GREENGUARD® Gold Certification:
As part of our commitment to support this effort, we have a growing number of products that have now been certified with the GREENGUARD® mark of distinction. All of these products have gone through a stringent independent testing program that has affirmed that they meet the high standards set by UL Environment Inc for product emissions into the indoor air stream. Look for this logo on SICO® tables and other products.
Environmentally Friendly Materials:
- Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) top core material is manufactured from materials under the FSC® certified (C131372) chain of custody scheme that is operated by the Forest Stewardship Council®. The MDF core supplied to SICO® feature a substantial amount of recycled/recovered material in their construction and conform to BSEN 622-1:2003.
- All the paper-based corrugated packaging we use for our transit cases is fully recyclable and where ever possible produced from FSC® certified (C131372) paper stocks. All inner-liner papers and fluting materials are made from 100% recycled paper. Outer-liner papers are produced from Kraft paper which is 20% recycled materials and 80% virgin woodpulp from sustainable forestry.
- Recyclable and re-usable containers and pallets.
- A major program of inter-company material shipments has been converted from single-use paper/wood packaging to permanent, reusable, collapsible containers to reduce scrap, waste, transportation, fuel consumption, etc.
- Powder coating is an environmentally friendly method of applying a finish that virtually eliminates overspray and provides a non-toxic surface that emits no formaldehyde or VOCs.
Environmentally Friendly Manufacturing Processes:
- Metal scrap generated in manufacturing operations is recycled.
- Material handling equipment has been converted from liquid propane gas internal combustion engines to zero emission electric units.
- Plant machinery requiring liquid coolant utilises water-based materials with closed loop systems.
- SICO® is converting plant lighting to high efficiency, energy conserving lamps.
- SICO® painted components are finished with powder coatings utilizing closed system recycling systems, with recaptured powders reused rather than becoming waste. Pre-cleaning liquids are recycled to the maximum extent possible, and treated prior to disposal.
- SICO® is undergoing a significant conversion from printed materials and record retention to an electronic retention system. This allows access to information and files without printed material, file cartons, transportation, and with minimisation of paper and metal file storage requirements.
- We are working towards printing all documents on recycled-content paper.
- SICO’s® internal office support staff is committed to recycling waste papers, aluminium, plastic and steel.
- Significant percentages of previously printed literature have been eliminated and replaced with a comprehensive web site that allows customers access to all product instructions, literature, parts lists, etc. without the need for printed, packaged material.
SICO® will continue to invest in research and development of durable new materials that are made of renewable and recyclable resources. Our manufacturing processes also reflect attention to minimizing waste, and recycling by-products of production.